Marafie Hospital, Mehdiabad
This 41-bed hospital was constructed and established at Mehdiabad in 1995 by the Marafie Foundation. The facility is run by the Foundation and is well equipped with provision for X-rays, ultra sound, ECG and a laboratory. In order to involve the local population and to create a sense of ownership, the Medical Officer and team of paramedics have been recruited locally. Over the years, the Marafie Hospital has become a base from which various local and foreign NGOs visiting the area can conduct their health programs. The Adelaide Leprosy Center headed by Dr. Ruth carried out a TB research program there in 1998. Dr. Ruth was impressed by the premises and the work being done by the Foundation and referred to the hospital as, “one of the important support centers in the endeavor to rid the Northern Area of the scourge of tuberculosis; where TB patients [can be] diagnosed in time and cured”. The Red Crescent Society of Pakistan also visited the area in 2000 to conduct a free eye camp in collaboration with the Pakistan Army. Over 1800 patients were treated in this camp. The St. John Ambulance Team of U.K. visited Baltistan in May/June 1999 and carried out useful training in fist aid ECT at various hospitals and also held small workshops about the importance of clean drinking water. Their experts also gave solutions for constructing simple drinking water facilities from the streams and springs.